Valentines is the perfect time to show your significant other how much you care for them. Many people see this time as an opportunity to purchase a loved one something special, yet for most, the best gift is a simple gesture.
One of the best gestures you can do to show your loved one just how much you care is to cook them a meal.
This may sound a little cliche but in fact, many people really enjoy having a meal cooked for them. In your case, you want to make a meal that is not only healthy but also easy to make and shows your partner that you care.
Our suggestion - a simple and quick recipe that is healthy: Strawberry Salad and a Pesto Pasta.
Now I know what you are thinking - a salad, really? Well, yes - not only is this recipe super easy to make, but it also meets all your main macronutrient needs - plus strawberries are the fruit of love!
Here's what you’ll need to do.
Prepare Your Salad
Collect the following Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups torn salad greens
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 10 strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, olive oil, honey, vinegar, and lemon juice and set it aside to be used in a couple minutes.
- Place the salad greens in a nice red bowl (or anything romantic looking), and top with sliced avocado and strawberries. Drizzle the dressing you made over everything, then add the pecans on top (you can crush them if you'd like).
NOTE: Depending on when your date arrives you may want to refrigerate the salad - warm avocados and mushy pecans will not go down well.
Prepare Your Dinner
Personally, I am a fan of simple foods - and this is one of my favorites.
Pesto - Shrimp Pasta
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- 1/2 cup butter (low-fat, if needed)
- 2 cups heavy cream (use a soy milk/olive oil combo for a low-fat alternative)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pesto
- Bring a large pot to boil, cook linguine for about 8-12 minutes (as you like).
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, and season with pepper. Cook on low heat for about 7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir Parmesan cheese into cream sauce, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Blend in the pesto, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in the shrimp, and cook until they turn pink about 5 minutes. Serve over the hot linguine.
- Enjoy your pasta with a crisp, white wine such as a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
Enjoy the night, and remember - it's about being with the person you love so don't fret if you overcook the pasta.